Jul 13, 2020
Students who are either returning to ABAC or transferring from a regionally accredited institution of higher education to ABAC may be eligible for Academic Renewal. Academic Renewal for the student signals the initiation of a new grade point average to be used for determining academic standing. This provision allows University System of Georgia degree-seeking students who earlier experienced academic difficulty to make a fresh start and have one final opportunity to earn an associate or bachelor’s degree.
- Applying for Academic Renewal Status
- Students are encouraged to apply for Academic Renewal status at the time of re-enrollment or enrollment as a transfer student at ABAC. Students who do not request Academic Renewal status at that time may do so up to one calendar year after enrollment.
- The application for Academic Renewal is available through the Registrar’s Office or online at http://apps.abac.edu/registrar/Student_Resources/AcademicRenewal.pdf.
- The denial of a request for Academic Renewal status can be appealed to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- A student can be granted Academic Renewal status only one time.
- All previously attempted coursework continues to be recorded on the student’s official transcript.
- A Renewal GPA is begun when the student resumes taking coursework following approval for Academic Renewal.
- The Academic Renewal GPA will be used for determining academic standing and eligibility for graduation.
- To earn a degree from ABAC, a student must meet the Institution’s residency requirements after acquiring Academic Renewal status.
- The student’s overall GPA, not the Academic Renewal GPA, will be used for determining honors for graduation.
- Academic credit for previously completed coursework, including transfer and transient coursework, will be retained only for courses in which a grade of A, B, or C has been earned.
- Retained grades are not calculated in a Renewal GPA. Such credit is considered in the same context as transfer credit, credit by examination, and courses with grades of “S.”
- Courses with grades of D or F must be repeated at the Academic Renewal institution if they are required in the student’s degree program.
- Applicability of retained credit to degree requirements will be determined by the degree requirements in effect at the time Academic Renewal status is conferred on the student. Specific institutional program regulations must also be met.
- Students who are transferring to ABAC or are returning to ABAC may be eligible for Academic Renewal for coursework taken before the period of absence.
- Readmitted Students
- Students who return to ABAC may be eligible for Academic Renewal for coursework taken before the period of absence.
- Students must have been absent from ABAC for a minimum period of five (5) years.
- Transfer credit for any coursework taken during the period of absence will be granted according to ABAC policies regarding transfer credits.
- Transfer Students
- Students who leave a regionally accredited institution of higher education and transfer to ABAC may be eligible for Academic Renewal for coursework taken before a period of time equal to the period of absence required for Academic Renewal eligibility for readmitted students, which is five (5) years.
- Only coursework completed five years or more before transfer to ABAC can be considered for Academic Renewal.
- Courses taken more recently than five years before the date of transfer to ABAC are ineligible for consideration for Academic Renewal. However, transfer credit for coursework taken within the five years will be granted according to ABAC policies regarding transfer credits.
- Any academic suspensions that occurred in the past shall remain recorded on the student’s permanent record. If a suspension (either first or second) is on the record and the student encounters subsequent academic difficulty after having been granted Academic Renewal, the next suspension subjects the student to dismissal.
- The Renewal GPA begins with the semester following re-enrollment.
- Re-entry into any program is not automatic.
- The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede financial aid policies regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede the admissions requirements of specific programs, e.g., teacher education and nursing, which require a specific minimum grade point average based upon all coursework.
- Academic Renewal status granted by one USG institution shall be honored at all other USG institutions.